Saturday, February 8, 2014

Growing Tropical Fruit In Perth Part 3.

Saturday 8th February 2014
If you're reading this right now I trust you've read my other two posts of the same title or if you're a first time visitor I thank you just the same. Reading over those posts I notice a lack of technical detail so I'll try and redress that.
Bananas transplanted over the years have become established and dominant. I water as generously as I dare over the summer months and suspend watering entirely around mid March. I keep plants tidy by trimming dead leaves which I use as mulch.
I expect the mulch load to increase after the fruiting plants die off and I am actually quite looking forward to it.
And they're definitely fruiting.
One TROPICAL FRUIT TREE that is definitely NOT FRUITING IN PERTH THIS YEAR is the MANGO. I hack/pruned my nearest and dearest at the end of last summer to take advantage of a council pick up. It was the first prune and was followed almost immediately by a long and hard, (for Perth), winter. Why didn't I take a photo of this beauty struggling through the cooler months? I was probably fearful and heartbroken. Events being what they have been this year have acted in favour of the plant, as no attempt was made to flower and fruit and all effort has been vegetative. It has never looked better. The wicker grape vine mulch system works well, though I am aware of a lethal fire danger with this system.
The block slopes to the South at about 5 degrees and with watering provides a summer hotspot that proves ideal for tropicals. The downside is that during the winter the area is colder than the plants prefer.
What kind of a slack gardener am I ? That's crab grass right there. Another job for me to do when I'm not at work.
I stand by previous comments regarding fertiliser, don't overdo it and keep it natural.














No comments:

Post a Comment