Thursday, November 15, 2012

Dogs


Window Cleaning And Dogs
Dogs are a huge part of Australian life. Everybody loves them. This CHRISTMAS/SPRING CLEANING period I have seen many of them. 

The window cleaner can be at something of a disadvantage if there is a dog in the house. In order to be accepted a visitor needs to be shown into the house and introduced to the dog, this can take time and if you are working to a tight schedule it is tempting to start work right away. Moving equipment such as ladders into the property can unsettle a dog and make him aggressive. Being a fair skinned operator I wear a hat and this seems to unsettle many dogs also.

I haven't had a dog for years  .  .  .  They are a lot of work, they destroy a garden, um.    .   .    

We were recently asked to take care of Tramp but we, ( I ), had problems with this. I said we would feed him while his owners were away.

On the first day I drive to his house, arrive and though he hardly knows me the big softie lets me in to feed him. As he eats I think that the boys would like it if I took him back to ours for a visit. There are problems with this, the family has a cat.   .   .


























.   .   .   .    He won't mind. Tramp hops into my car.

He has a great time at our place but not before sniffing and peeing on every bush, plant, tree, inanimate object in the yard. A measured squirt for each one.
The boys and Tramp get on famously, he follows them everywhere and lies down and sleeps next to them as they play their video games.

Apart from my garden, such as it is, I worry about our resident bobtail. Tramp already has form back home for killing these wonderful reptiles.
The cat? Oh he's OK if you call hiding up on top of the grapevine and hissing, eyes flashing and making anguished internal mewlings OK.
Time for Tramp to go home. I drop him off.

Next day I drive out again to feed him and I 'm surprised to find I'm looking forward to it.
He's waiting out front and is ecstatic to see me. He hoovers his meal and runs to the gate. Clearly he thinks we're having a repeat session back at my place. I decide he can stay for the rest of the time with us.

 At our house he repeats the sniffing and peeing on all the same objects ritual. The cat disappears into the hallway linen cupboard and doesn't reappear.

He really is good for the boys, keeping them interested in all his activities. The garden starts to suffer almost immediately with his scratching and excited running around the place. The bobtail follows the cat's example and goes to ground. My God can he eat  .   .   .   A large can of pedigree and a quarter of chicken, not to mention leftovers, gifts from the boys and every scrap of the poor old cat's food.
In the three days we have him he becomes a solid member of the family and it is almost difficult to see him go when it is time.

Dogs are a responsibility and any hopes you may have had of maintaining a complex diverse garden are doomed. They are a lot of work and very needy. They are also a part of modern Australian life and here to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment