Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Window Cleaners Rottnest.


Rottnest Family Holiday, March 2014.
Why am I so sore and beaten up after a week at Rottnest? My lower back is tender and I ache all over. Is it the eating and the drinking that goes on here or the unexplained knocks and bruises sustained in the many and various, often ill-advised bike riding expeditions? 
On reflection I am inclined to blame the bloody awful beds provided by The Rottnest Island Authority. For someone 6ft or over they are too short and I regret to say that they contribute to the condition that I call Rotto Bad Back.










We are staying in the 8 bed villa Roland Smith this time, a place we have stayed before and, based on previous experience I had planned on writing a post about cleaning the windows on Rottnest because I have done it in the past and they have really needed it. If there's one thing I can't stand on a holiday it's dirty windows. I've paid for the break with window cleaning so what's the big deal with doing 1/2 an hour's work first up and enjoying the view? This time the windows have been done and they look all right.
The bathroom and toilet flyscreens are clogged and choked and are not allowing ventilation of these areas. I didn't bring the screwdriver I need to remove these screens so it's off to the general store I go.
$3.70 and I have a reasonable travel screwdriver set.
The screens are completely choked and no longer functional.
A simple wash under the tap and a quick wipe is all it takes to bring them back to functionality. I predict that all the villas on Rottnest need such attention as part of a maintenance clean and it needs to be done now.
Why am I here? The crayfish you saw at the top of the page are caught on the first day so I am inclined to set out on a trip to investigate a new fishing spot I am interested in.
On the bike ride there I stop to marvel at some of the windscaped trees here, in this case a planted tuart, surviving despite a very harsh windy maritime environment.
Similarly this Rottnest cypress, indigenous to the island is dealing with the pressure in the same way.
The place I have in mind is exposed to the wind today and not providing ideal conditions.
It's hard to show in these photos how rough conditions are.
In the short time I am there the fishing is intense if somewhat disappointing.
Double headers of undersize silver bream are the order of the day.
I catch the biggest sea trumpeter I have ever seen, and am just about to give up when I get a really quite nice skippy.
A family bike ride out to The West End provides some memorable moments.
Quokkas and a snake.
I am very aware of the danger of being bitten in the hand as I take these shots.
The ride takes us to some beautiful places.




The coast is always changing.
The view from JUMP ROCK ROTTNEST, Eagle Bay
West End
Ond day I want to take the long walk around here and fish this spot for tailor, it looks ideal.
I can never come to this West End beach without being reminded of Trigg Island.
Returning through Narrow neck we stop at The Roland Smith memorial.
Talk about a cult of the personality.

From our balcony a beach wedding unfolds.
 We're not invited but I was there, I was up the back.

We feel privileged to witness such a special occasion from our balcony.
Upon completion of the service it begins to rain heavily. Perth's summer is over and we experience the heaviest rain we have seen in months.
For me it is an emotional experience. The boys and I have to return their hire bikes and it is almost closing time. We are away early in the morning so we brave the showers. As we make our way to the bike place the showers turn into heavy rain, we are soaked. After returning the bikes the rain continues and realising we are soaked through decide to set off anyway. We can't get any wetter. All around the settlement we see people from the wedding who are soaked through too, it makes for a kind of camaraderie.
The rain soaked mess and chaos that marks the end of a great family holiday.
Rottnest Island March 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment